It’s time to shop for a mattress when you notice stains, lumps or sags in your existing mattress. In fact, some experts recommend you replace your mattress at least every 10 years, even if it seems to be in good shape. To find memory foam mattresses that will last you another 10 years, no matter your sleep preference, you can compare and evaluate mattresses to find the mattress designed to help you get a good night’s rest.
- Test how comfortable the mattress is in the store. Lie down on the mattress that catches your interest to make sure it feels as comfortable as you think it will be. For the best results, lay on your back for five minutes and then each side for five minutes each.
- Lie down to test a mattress on your back. If you can place one of your hands under the small of your back, you need a mattress that’s not as firm. Roll over onto your stomach, paying attention to how easy it was to roll over. If you struggle to roll over, then you need a mattress that’s more firm.
- There is no single type of mattress that is good for all people. Try out a mattress for a few minutes to know if it is a good mattress for you.
- Find out the number of coils in the mattress before you buy. In the average mattress, you can expect at least 300 coils in a full size mattress, at least 375 coils for a queen mattress and at least 450 coals for a king mattress.
- Check the pillow top padding on top of the mattress. It can wear down or become lumpy if not taken care of.
- To prevent back strain, a good mattress should support your body while you sleep. It needs to offer the right firmness and thickness for your body type.
- A good mattress that is big enough to fit the bed size prevents aches and pains that come from having portions of your body in contact with the hard surface of your bed.
- A mattress offers a place to rest your body when you are sleeping or just relaxing. The best mattress will offer functionality both when you are lying down and when you are sitting up in bed.
- According to the Better Sleep Council, your mattress has a major impact on the quality and quantity of your sleep and therefore how you function and feel every day.